Senior Waste Specialist
Morrison Hershfield is a multi-disciplinary consulting engineering and management firm located throughout the US and Canada. We are a dynamic, employee-owned, team-oriented firm with a diverse project list that ensures you will be working on exciting, high-profile and challenging projects. For more than 75 years, the people at Morrison Hershfield have been the leading force behind our continuous growth and the expansion of our services.
Here at Morrison Hershfield, we are committed to providing flexible work arrangements, to assist employees in fulfilling their multiple responsibilities at work, at home and in the community. Flexible work arrangements provide additional options for work schedules and locations. As we focus on project delivery, clients and staff, we have several working options available for working at Morrison Hershfield.
Our Solid Waste team is growing and we are looking for a Senior Solid Waste Specialist to join the team. We are looking for a specialist in the area of Landfill Design, Organics Management or Solid Waste Planning and we can shift the role around based on your expertise. As a Specialist in your area, you will be a vital individual in our teams’ growth and will provide both mentorship and leadership to our junior and intermediate team members. This role offers great opportunity for growth in the areas of business development, leadership and project management.
Morrison Hershfield provides integrated and cost effective solutions to a broad range of solid waste management challenges. Our clients are municipal, regional, provincial and territorial governments as well as private sector companies in need of reliable waste solutions. Our team is currently involved in a broad range of solid waste projects in the areas of: solid waste planning, organics management, anaerobic digestion, resource recovery, technology assessments, waste processing recycling and sorting, landfill design, extended producer responsibility, curbside collection and transfer station design. Some of our recent projects include design and construction oversight of two large transfer stations for Metro Vancouver, a study on waste-to-energy technologies for the federal government, an assessment of regional organics management options in the Okanagan, design and construction oversight of private sector and First Nations landfills, and regional solid waste management plan updates for regional governments across British Columbia.
We currently have an established and growing solid waste practice in British Columbia, the Yukon and across the prairies. In these markets we have trusted clients that continue to ask us to undertake a broad range of projects. Our solid waste team is highly functional, interactive and driven to provide exceptional service to our clients.Responsibilities:
This role will consist of a mixture of technical, project management and business development responsibilities. Strong people skills and a willingness to manage people are key assets. This position can be located in either our British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba or Ontario offices.
- Lead and manage solid waste projects
- Technical research and technology evaluations
- Economic analyses, capital cost estimates and operating cost estimates
- Solid waste planning and facility design coordination
- Business development to help grow the solid waste practice
- Write technical portions of proposals
- Report writing and peer review
- Provide mentorship and leadership to junior engineers
- Post-Secondary education in engineering or relevant discipline
- Minimum 8 years of experience leading projects within solid waste management, preferably in a consulting environment
- Strong experience within the Canadian Solid Waste market
- Excellent working relationships with different levels of government
- Strong leadership and client development skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Project
- Willingness to travel, undertake site visits and meet with local government staff and politicians is required
Your application has been successfully submitted.